Friday, February 12, 2010

From Scratch vs. From Store - Jumbo Muffins

This is going to be the first of many threads comparing store bought items to making them from scratch.

My dh and kids really like the jumbo muffins you can buy for about $1.00 each in stores or even more from the work vending machine. Once I found out dh was buying these every day at work I decided to figure out a way to make them on my own. I knew I could make them cheaper and healthier.

I searched everywhere for a jumbo muffin pan but could not find one. Amazon came to the rescue again. I think you can get anything you need from that site LOL.

I bought this muffin pan and I love it! When I shop at Amazon I always try to order $25 worth of items so I can get free shipping. I did not have a bundt pan so I added this bundt pan to my order. My total came to $25.00 so I got free shipping.

This is where Swagbucks comes into play. I save up my swagbucks for $5 Amazon gift cards. I always wait until I have $25 in giftcards to use them so I can order with free shipping.

So total cost for these pans shipped to me was FREE thanks to swagbucks.

For the jumbo muffins we just use our regular muffin recipes and add a couple of minutes to the cooking time.

Here is a recipe we like:
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins
1c. oatmeal
1c. buttermilk or sour milk
1 egg
1/2c sugar
1/3c oil or unsweetened applesauce
1 1/4c. Flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
6 oz. chocolate chips

In large bowl combine oatmeal and buttermilk. Let stand 5 minutes. Add egg, sugar, & oil, Beat well. Add flour, b. soda, salt, and b. powder. Mix again just until moist. Fold in chocolate chips.

Fill cups 2/3 full. I usually have extra batter that I will use in a regular muffin pan. 400 degrees for 20 minutes. (check the larger ones-they may need a few extra minutes)

COST ANALYSIS:
Price for 6 store bought jumbo muffins $6.00
made from scratch $1.50 or less (depending if you get chocolate chips on sale)

- www.frugalmnmomma.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment