This is our favorite Homemade Bread to make! There is nothing better than fresh bread from the oven slathered in butter. Yum! Yum! This dough is also very versatile and makes great dinner rolls and artesian style round loaf. (see bottom of post)
1 c. warm water
1 Tbsp. milk
2 Tbsp. Oil
2 Tbsp. Honey
2 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. Flour
1 1/2 c. Whole Wheat Flour
2 tsp. yeast
1. Combine first 6 ingredients in mixing bowl. Stir.
2. Add flours and yeast, and knead dough 5-10 minutes. Instead of kneading by hand I use the dough hooks that came with my handmixer to blend/knead the dough. You can also use a Kitchaid Mixer(or similiar brand) with dough hook. Here is a pic.
3. Shape dough into a ball (use a little flour if it is sticky) and place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with a clean towel and let rise until doubled, about 45-60 minutes.
4. Punch dough down and shape into a bread loaf. Place in greased loaf pan and cover. Let rise in a warm place until almost doubled in size, about 35-45 minutes.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove bread from oven and allow to rest in the pan for a few minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
Additional notes: If you have a breadmaker, you can use the dough setting to knead it for you. Just put ingredients in according to order listed. Then shape into loaf, put into loaf pan and follow the rest of the instructions.
This recipe is very easy to double if you would like two loaves. (Do not do this if using bread machine)
I have substituted molasses for the honey and had great results.
I have also used 2 c. whole wheat flour and 1 c. flour for one loaf and it tasted great!
I have made dinner rolls with this dough - on step 4 roll dough into balls and place on greased cookie sheet instead of putting into a bread loaf pan. Follow rest of instructions as for bread. For a round loaf just shape the ball of dough into one round loaf and place on greased cookie sheet.